The picture to the right was quite a surprise the other day when I was out house hunting with a client. Take a close look at the picture. There is something vital missing… The air conditioning unit was gutted!
How do you go about safe guarding a vacant property?
- Get timers for lights in and outside the house! It will look like someone is home.
- Stop by at least 1 to 3 times a week. Check around the property and talk to the neighbors.
- Talk to a trusted neighbor to be on the look out for you.
- Call the local police and ask if they will swing by your property.
- Get a landscaping company, local kid, or somebody to mow your lawn and do lawn/yard maintenance.
- Get security cameras. They are a lot cheaper nowadays than even I expected. Check it out.
- Get insurance on the property.
Prevention is having others in the neighborhood aware of your situation. Making the home look lived in is another.